Engagement Managers lead EdSolutions projects from initial scope definition, to execution, to final product delivery. Because our firm specializes in the intersection of Education, Markets and Social Impact, our consultants typically have a strong background and / or interest in one or more of those areas. As a reference point: this role is similar to consulting roles at firms like McKinsey or Bain.
Note that a typical engagement might look like a 4-5 month project (~20 hours/week) that has the potential to lead to additional part-time or full-time work.
The selected candidate will be expected to:
- Have a passion for generating social impact, and deep understanding of Pre K-12 educational markets
- Plan, execute, and adapt a diverse array of projects in dynamic environments
- Incorporate input from multiple stakeholders to mobilize groups toward common and ambitious goals
- Work effectively with multiple groups of partners to deliver high quality products
- Self-motivate and demonstrate capacity to prioritize, ensuring time is spent on highest leverage actions
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative analysis to generate meaningful insights; synthesize one’s own and the team’s research into client-ready presentations
- Communicate efficiently: break down large and complex analyses into actionable recommendations while reserving the ability to drill deeper as needed
- Manage Business Analysts and other contributors: lead supporting team members’ contribution to projects and ensure they develop new skills and professional capacities
The candidate should demonstrate a passion for breaking new ground and innovating to drive institutional change in the education sector. Ideal candidates will have a background that includes a combination of one or more of the following: PreK -12 education background, consulting experience, and a passion for social impact.
Requirements / Experience:
- Experience in the education sector (Pre K through 12) is highly valued. This can include time teaching, working for an educational publisher, or other deep exposure to the sector.
- Undergraduate degree required; MBA or an advanced degree in education is highly desired.
- Previous work in / knowledge of the education sector and/or management consulting (e.g., McKinsey, Deloitte, etc.) is a plus.
- A proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation; evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment, problem solving, project management, and creative resourcefulness.
- Ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends and incorporate them into a project.
- Comfort with forming hypotheses based on available information and iterating on recommendations as new information is uncovered.
- Capacity for managing and leading people; ability to connect with people both on an individual level and in large groups; capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower top-notch leaders from the bottom up, cultivate entrepreneurship, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the team so as to put people in a position to succeed.
- Very comfortable with structuring quantitative analyses in Excel or Google Sheets, and distilling complex ideas and takeaways in PowerPoint or Google Slides. Excellent oral, written and presentation skills.
- Enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; not afraid to take charge of a situation; can overcome resistance and take unpopular stands when necessary.
- Sense of humor and ability to work in a dynamic environment is a significant plus and an interest in working with an innovative company seeking to build a next generation consulting model.